A common problem when creating and deploying an image is the need to accommodate varying HAL types. This article will summarize a solution to this problem and provide links to Microsoft support information.
The TeraByte OS Deployment Tool (TBOSDT) Suite can assist with deployment tasks. Among many other things, the TBOSDT Suite can install native or third-party mass storage drivers (including to inactive or unbootable Windows systems) and allows you to view and/or edit INI files. The TBOSDT Suite includes sample scripts to help get you started.
- Create a non-ACPI master image for non-ACPI target systems and/or an ACPI master image for ACPI-compliant target systems.
- Include in the master image a mass storage controller driver for each system to which you will be deploying that master image.
- You cannot change from a non-ACPI HAL to an ACPI HAL without running Windows 2000/XP/2003 setup.
- If the target system will use the ACPI Uniprocessor PC HAL, add the following line to the [Unattended] section of Sysprep.ini:
UpdateUPHAL = "ACPIAPIC_UP,%WINDIR%\Inf\Hal.inf"
- If the target system will use the ACPI Multiprocessor PC HAL, add the following line to the [Unattended] section of Sysprep.ini:
UpdateHAL = "ACPIAPIC_MP,%WINDIR%\Inf\Hal.inf"
- Related Microsoft support articles and documents: